Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Road-Trip Day 8: Louisville

We are back to long hours of driving.  Today was only about six hours so that wasn't too bad.  It was nice to have a few days of little to no driving so that we could catch up on some sleep.

We started the day with breakfast at Kings with Christine and Alex.  They are breakfast connoisseurs so I knew it would be good!

Apparently the restaurant makes brownies that they call frownies and sells them in packages and call it a pity party.  These would be great to give to grumpy people.  I'm not sure about the dessert menu though.  Should I be excited that he is waiting for me or should I sneak out the back?

Gas prices haven't changed much.  This gas station did have a significantly lower price than the one a few blocks up the street.

When we were last in West Virginia it took nearly all day.  Today we cut across one of the little parts so we were only there for about ten minutes.

Tunnel!  I'm still amazed that you can drive under a mountain.

This visit to Ohio was much better than my first visit.  I was going to a teaching conference while I was in college and my flight was delayed to the point that I arrived at the Ohio airport at about 3 am.  That was the start of a long and unpleasant weekend.

They kept up the trend of decent gas prices.  If it matters...we chose not to try the iced mocha.

I'm really proud that we haven't really gotten lost this entire trip.  It helps to have a giant atlas with lots of details and many printouts of Google maps.

I'm always glad when we cross into the state where we will be sleeping.  I'm amazed at how little time it takes to go across some of these states.  You can drive all day and still be in Texas but most days we are going through four states.

Almost to our destination!  Louisville is such a cool name for a city especially after going through towns called Bland.

I'm glad we got into town early because we had time to go see Churchill Downs.  I got a good picture of it but the rest wasn't quite as amazing as I thought it would be.

It was definitely a race day because the parking lot was full.  The neighborhood around it was very normal.  It is always weird to see places that are so iconic surrounded by average daily things.

We also had time to explore the University of Louisville campus.  Unfortunately, we couldn't find the bookstore so we weren't able to buy shirts.  I guess we can always shop on the Internet.

I never would have thought to name a seafood place Moby Dick.  Unique restaurants are very entertaining but I'm not usually brave enough to try them.

Louisville Slugger has a really nice baseball stadium in downtown.  I'm not really sure who plays there though.  I would love to come back here sometime.  I saw so many places I want to visit but we won't have time on this trip.

1 comment:

M & M said...

Yeah for Kentucky! (my alma mater--although I was in Lexington, KY not Lou-a-vulle)

So cool that you are driving back a different route to add few more states to your belt!