Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Gettysburg Part One



We took a day trip to Gettysburg July 3rd which happened to be the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg which took place July 1st - 3rd in 1863.  It was very busy and very warm that day! 


The boys were really excited about seeing canons. 


Christine and I took the opportunity to play with the canons too!


I was glad we chose the driving tour instead of the walking tour because the battle field covers are very large area. 


We were still excited about seeing canons early in our tour.


Throughout the area where the Confederate Army had their camps and headquarters there were numerous monuments.  There were also many people dressed in Confederate uniforms.  Some were there to educate people and reenact some of the events of the Battle of Gettysburg while others were simply enthusiastic fans of the Civil War. 


Believe it or not...we did get tired of canons after a while.


The area was absolutely gorgeous!  I can't imagine such a brutal battle in this quite and peaceful place.


We of course had to take a picture of the Texas monument.  It was small yet proud.  We took pictures of others but posting them all might get redundant. 


Eventually we got to the area were the Union Army had their camps and headquarters.  They also had more monuments than I could count.  I can see why the Union Army had an advantage since they were situated up here instead of down there.


I'm not going to show all of the monuments because there were too many.  This one was pretty cool.  You could climb to the top and see an incredible view. 


I just couldn't stop taking pictures of the surrounding countryside.  More to come...

1 comment:

M & M said...

Can you believe we lived less than an hour away and never went to see Gettysburg while living there? (Michael has of course seen it many times as a child, but never I)