Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Beginning Of House Hunting...

One of the teaching strategies I learned this summer at a professional development session is an activity called "good things".  In the classroom setting you turn on some fun music and lead students through good things that have happened recently or will happen soon.  I won't get into all the reasons for and benefits of the activity, but it is definitely a positive activity that can be used in virtually any work, family, or social setting.  One of the "good things" we are looking forward to is buying a house this summer.  While Mike was at work today I took the opportunity to start house hunting.  The main purpose was to get an idea of what we like and don't like.

This first house was in a cute neighborhood.  It was a corner lot and had some nice trees and landscaping.  The rooms were large and open.  I would probably want to change some of the lighting, paint color, and hardware.  On a scale of one to five I would give it a three.  It is a good option but it needed some changes.

The second house was very interesting.  It is very simple from the outside but the floor plan was unique and surprising.  It has many decor options and felt very warm right away.  The deck in the back wasn't too appealing but isn't a deal breaker.  On a scale of one to five I would give it a four.  It wasn't love at first sight but it felt like a place we could grow into.

The third house had the exact same floor plan as the first.  Many of the details that I wasn't fond of in the first house were more to my liking in this house.  I think the floor plan is ok but still not quite what we are looking for.  On a scale of one to five I would give it a three.  It is better than the first one but still not just right.

The fourth house was disappointing.  It was my favorite from the listings but was my least favorite in person.  The front yard is tiny and there are huge power lines right behind the house.  I could tell multiple large dogs lived there before I even saw them.  I wasn't fond of the layout and living room was enormous.  Usually a spacious living room is great but this one was massive even with the mammoth furniture that attempted to fill it.  On a scale of one to five I give it a one.  It isn't an option at all.

Our realtor and I drove through some other neighborhoods and I pointed out aspects of homes I liked.  We had to stop and see one house that was particularly appealing.  The inside was gorgeous!  It had all the bells and whistles you see on television.  Granite, slate, brushed fixtures, stainless steal appliances, and more.  At the time, on a scale from one to five  I gave it a five!  The more I think about it though I wonder if it was house lust at first sight.  It is the picture perfect house from all those television shows...but could it ever feel like home?  We'll see what Mike thinks.

3 comments:

Eric Moore said...

What a fun "good thing!" I still remember the light bulb moment that led to Kim and I kissing the apartment good bye. Good luck in the process. Let your fellow S.P.ers know if they can help (a lot of industry experience in that room for sure.)

M & M said...

Loved this post! However, I had such a hard time picturing a real Houston house when reading while looking at pictures of castles and such.
Can't wait to see the real thing...oh, I mean, I know these are the real thing, but...

Jodi Hendricks said...

Buying a home is so exciting and fun. Enjoy the process even when it gets overwhelming and don't give up until you find the one that you can't stop thinking about!