Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Two Weeks of Randomness!

The past two weeks have been sooo busy! This past week at school holiday fever hit the students. The eighth graders were so blatantly and outrageously naughty on Tuesday and Wednesday that they were actually quite manageable Thursday and Friday because the were so worn out! Though I could go on explaining the details for quite a while, I will instead focus on other highlights of the past two weeks.

Since it has finally started to get a little cooler Sadie has been shivering like crazy!  We decided we needed to find a sweater or something for her so that she would be so cold.  Stephanie recommend a little shop and we decided to stop by.  We couldn't find a sweater we liked but we did find some dog pajamas that are really cute!  Sadie looks really cute and I think she likes them because they cover most of her body and keep her toasty.

The sixth grade students taking home economics at my school had a very interesting project that was seven days long and ended this past Wednesday.  They created and carried around Flour Babies!  It gave all the teachers plenty of opportunity to debate whether or not this was a good idea but overall I found the project very entertaining.  Some of the babies were very cute and some of the sixth grade classrooms had nursery or daycare areas so that the babies would not be too much of a distraction.  One of my students made me the Abuelita (grandma) of her flour baby pictured above.  My mother would probably not be happy to know this means she is already a great-grandma.  Unfortunately, after school on the last day of the project some of the babies did not make it home safely.  The front lawn of the school was covered with a fresh layer of flour and it wasn't too hard to figure out which students had participated in the shenanigans.

Last weekend Mike and I wanted to try a new Thanksgiving macaroni and cheese recipe so we figured why not make a mini Thanksgiving dinner.  Our meal resembles college cooking more than gourmet but it wasn't bad for only two hours of work.  The new recipe was great!  I apologize to the mashed potato lovers out there.  We considered making some because we found a great recipe for smashed potatoes last year but they just weren't necessary.  Our must haves are green-bean casserole and stuffing.

Today we joined Michael Weyler at Mission Greenspoint to give out items for Thanksgiving dinner and give some love to people who really need it.  Most people know that I like sleeping late on Saturday mornings but getting up early was totally worth it.  We were blessed to see so many volunteers ready to help.  We spent a little while packing bags with two cans of green-beans, a can of cranberry sauce, a can of yams, a box of cake mix, a container of frosting, an a package of stuffing.  People also received some materials about dedicating their life to Jesus as well as a Kroger gift card.  Call me OCD, but I was very focused on making sure I matched each cake mix with the correct flavor of frosting.  Talking with some of the people who came to receive the bags was the best part.  Weyler did a great job sharing the gospel.

We love to volunteer because it provides such great opportunities to have an impact on our community.  As teachers we see our students and their families going through some of the same difficult situations as the people we talked with today at Mission Greenspoint.  Even though we didn't know any of the people who were helped today, I know that there are volunteers in our school attendance zones who are helping our students and their families.  Mission Greenspoint will need volunteers to help with Christmas and I hope we will be available to help.

3 comments:

M & M said...

love the flour babies...I remember things like that in high school, but your grandchild is extraordinarily cute...

April said...

Lvoe the Pj's! Sadie is so cute. I so enjoyed hanging out with you tonight. Hope you didn't get a caffeine overload!

Kim and Eric said...

What a great ministry that you participated in on Saturday. I know many people appreciated your efforts... and the matched frosting and cake matters! :)