
I'm always a little anxious when my classes have a substitute. Sometimes I'm not sure if I should feel bad for the substitute having to deal with the students or if I should feel bad for the students having to deal with the substitute. The good thing is that my students usually miss me and appreciate having me as a teacher...at least for a few days. I missed my classes this morning because I had a meeting and it sounds like they did well. There was a small issue with my newest student though. He is coming from a neighboring district and has had that 'I didn't want to move and I miss my friends so I'm going to sit here and pout' attitude. It is somewhat understandable because it takes time to get to know people and feel comfortable in your new surroundings but refusing to do your assignment is not an option.
New Student: I don't know what to write.
Student 1: You better write something! This teacher won't just let you do nothing. She'll check when she gets back and she'll be mad if you haven't done anything.
Student 2: I don't know what to write either. I'll just write random words to fill the page.
Student 1: I wouldn't do that. She'll be mad and make you do it again. Dude, just do your work!
(When I got to school I went to find the new student.)
Me: I heard you had a bad day in my class. What happened?
New Student: She wanted us to write something and I couldn't think of anything.
Me: Here's the deal...I left that assignment for you to do and you didn't even try it. You can take it home and do it for homework or you can work on it tomorrow and miss your library day. It doesn't matter to me what you choose but you will do the assignment.
New Student: I'll do it for homework.
Me: Good. Do you need help thinking of ideas?
New Student: No...I know what I want to write.
Sorry to Katie for threatening library time...at least he chose wisely!



2 comments:
Better question is...did he really finish it for homework?!
I'm curious about whether he finished the assignment too. Do tell!
Post a Comment