Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, June 26, 2009

Anniversary Date!

Today we finally had a chance to celebrate our anniversary! We had to get up early to get to our first destination when it opened so we started the day with a Starbucks run.

Our first stop was the Houston Zoo. We love going to zoos and haven't had the opportunity to go in the two years we've lived in Houston. Since the weather has been very hot, we got to the zoo early hoping the animals would be somewhat active before it got miserable. I was a little disappointed at first because I realized the camera was not in my purse but I don't think I missed too many picture opportunities since most of the animals are made less photogenic by the methods the zoo uses to keep the animals where they are suppose to be. We saw all our favorite animals and were finished with our visit just as the two of us and the animals were starting to get grumpy. We really like the Houston zoo and are looking forward to going back for future visits.

For lunch we stopped by Hungry's in Rice Village. It is a little expensive for a normal lunch but we decided to splurge since we were celebrating our anniversary. The atmosphere is so calm and the food is quite tasty. If you haven't been there your should try it!

After lunch we went to the Houston Museum of Natural Science to see the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit we have been wanting to see. We are slight history and art nerds and it was so cool to see these in person. The exhibit was really impressive compared to others we have gone to. Time Magazine listed it as a "must see". I would also like to add that they had a very nice gift shop.

I highly recommend it but do have a warning to pass along. When I'm in teacher mode I'm very aware of what is going on around me so very few things startle me or catch me off-guard. As common sense would dictate, I'm not in teacher mode when I'm not at school. As I was examining a statue and wondering why it didn't look to be made out of the same material as the others it started to come towards me. I let out a short loud scream (in a totally silent museum room) because I thought this statue was about to fall on me without me even touching it and I had no idea how heavy it was going to be. Turns out it was a person dressed as a statue! I hate to sound like a bad sport but I really didn't like that. I don't like being scared by movies let alone in real life. The entire situation was made worse by the crowd of people standing on the other side of the room who had been waiting to see him scare someone. They were all laughing hysterically at me. Mike sweetly walked me to the next room while I tried really hard not to look like a bigger loser by crying about it. I settled down after a while and enjoyed the rest of the exhibit (from a safe distance or hiding behind Mike). All in all it is definitely worth seeing...just watch out for the one in the dark corner that everyone is looking at but won't go near...unless you like that kind of stuff.

2 comments:

M & M said...

Sounds like a very fun day!!!
(excepting the statue person--which I admit did make me laugh. I know I would have been really startled!)

Katie said...

I would have cried too. I don't like being scared in any way shape or form and I hate being laughed at in situations like that. Props to Mike for rescuing you in a timely fashion!