My family has never understood why I don't like ice skating! It all started way back when I was little and someone told me if you fall on the ice a person could skate over your fingers and cut them off. You wouldn't think it would be such a big deal since I live in Texas but my entire family is from Wisconsin and they love hockey. Eventually, I did realize that it is highly unlikely for me to have my fingers cut off by an ice skater...but I still prefer to operate on the theory that it was even more unlikely if I don't ever ice skate.While I was watching ESPN after school today I saw a story that has given me a new reason to never ice skate! A hockey player for the Florida Panthers underwent surgery because his teamate's skate cut his carotid artery and just missed his jugular vein during a game. It was a crazy accident! His teammate was knocked over by the other team and went head first into the ice which meant skate first into his own teammate's neck.
Check out the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3240651
I realize that the chances of me getting cut in the neck by an ice skate is about as likely as my fingers getting cut off...but I'm not even that good at ice skating anyway... :)



1 comment:
Well, to tell the truth, I do have my own fear of ice skating...ever since I catapulted over a speeding adolescent who didn't want to "go with the flow" at the rink in Gatlinburg where my family was celebrating Christmas several years ago. I BROKE MY ANKLE! With three daughters at home and Mike on his way back overseas! So, I have to sympathize with your paranoia...no more ice skating for me!
Post a Comment